Cauliflower Steak with Kalamata Olive and Red Pepper Tapenade
- For the Cauliflower Steaks:
- 2 medium heads of cauliflower
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- For the Tapenade:
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon button capers, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare the Tapenade: In a food processor, combine the olives, red peppers, raisins, orange zest, tarragon, parsley, capers and black pepper.
Pulse 6-7 times until just combined and rough chopped.
Pour in the olive oil and pulse 2-3 times more to mix together. The mixture should be smooth and loose but textured still.
Cover and set aside in fridge until ready to use.
Prepare the Cauliflower: Preheat the grill to medium.
Remove the outer green leaves from the cauliflower, leaving the core in tact. Place the cauliflower on a cutting board on its base. Using a sharp knife (serrated works well), slice down the center creating two even halves. Carefully slice 1-inch steaks out of each piece. Repeat the process with the other head of cauliflower to end up with 4 cauliflower steaks.
Generously coat the steaks with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Place on hot grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and well marked.
Remove the steaks from the grill and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine the parsley, panko, garlic, chile and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle breading on top of each cauliflower steak and finish with a light drizzle of olive oil which will help the browning process.
Place in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown on top. Serve with spoonfuls of the tapenade drizzled over the top and around the sides.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 min
Ease of preparation: easy
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes