Beer Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- One 12-ounce bottle beer, amber preferred
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 5 to 6 turns fresh ground black pepper
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add the butter and flour and mix together to make a roux.
Cook until nutty and fragrant but still light in color, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour in the beer and half and half and continue to whisk to create a smooth, thick mixture.
Add the cheeses, mustard, Worcestershire, kosher salt, dry mustard, paprika, cayenne and pepper.
Cook over low heat while continuing to whisk for 7 to 8 minutes.
Remove from heat, cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings